Plaque on a marker (cenotaph type) north of Osoyoos
Where is it?
In modern times there have been three formal government buildings at the 49th Parallel south of Osoyoos. Back in the cowboy days there was at least 3 other locations that the border crossing was set up – most of them in the days of cattle drives – not tourists driving in the area. AND none of them at the 49th parallel. Where were these custom houses erected?
This picture taken prior to 1951
In 1930, Canadian customs finally made its way to the 49th parallel. The building was located near the present day entrance to the American-Canadian boundary. It shared space with the Department of Immigration which started in 1929. The building was in use from 1930 until 1952.
In 1952 the customs facilities at the 49th parallel were revamped. The facilities consisted of two separate buildings. The western building was used solely for touring or passenger cars coming and going. The eastern building was designed to handle trucks and buses. Warehouse space, cells with barred windows, and search rooms made up the more than 12,000 square feet of floor space.