Meeting of the Trustees Wednesday May 23rd in Oliver
1. April enrolment report – Elementary schools in the district down by 10, secondary schools students down by 56 and YouLearn is up by 120 students.
2. School Board officials and consultants met with community groups over planning for the new Frank Venables Auditorium slated for an opening in December of 2013 with a seating capacity of 400. The design includes a separate drama classroom for school use. Another community meeting is scheduled prior to the tendering of all equipment.
3. A celebration of success will be held May 30 at 4pm in the SOSS atrium for the Roots of Empathy program. Six years of success. It will be a gathering of babies, parents, instructors, the public and school officials. Alumni babies are invited to attend.
4. Dry Grad fundraising at Liquor stores in BC has raised over a $500 thousand and $3,116 will stay in the school district.
5. Defibrillator Enhancement Program: Thanks to a generous donation from Interior Savings Credit Union – this program will continue to train grade 10 students in three high schools in the district. The schools received almost $8000 in cash for 70 CPR mannequins with 8 teachers getting training in the district.
6. The district will write to the government of BC about traffic safety around the Elementary School in Okanagan Falls as streets and crosswalks are looked after by the Ministry of Highways and Infrastructure. This is an ongoing situation with the school district reinforcing its concerns in another letter – asking for safer conditions in the area.