1921 – Oliver was growing – an irrigation ditch was being built – workers had children so a small school was needed and it operated in the basement of the United Church and a nearby auto garage.
by 1923 – a two classroom school had been built north of Fairview Rd ( School Board offices location today )
by 1929 – a four classroom school had been built west of the ditch with two more rooms added in 1937
by 1941 – an eight classroom school had been built west of the ’29 building for high school students mainly and the *scout hall school closed
by 1948 – “Taj Mahal” built – the SO High School with many classrooms, cafeteria, gym, workshops, music room, auditorium and many other amenities.
the ’41 building becomes an elementary school and the ’29 school become a primary school
by 1964 8 more classrooms added to OES on the east wing
by 1987 more classrooms added to OES on the west (Fairview) wing
in 1989 the inner old building demolished and a new school consolidated into one OES – the ’41 building lasted 48 years
in 1990 – the ’29 building ( now 61 years old ) demolished ( basically the two old schools gone) leaving a new one.
More On Testalinda School
Sen Pok Chin School and the new SOSS later in a separate article.
What are your memories?
Thanks to the staff at OES, Oliver Archives, Cliff Gay, Kevin Tomlin, & Gail Blidook for their input