So, it’s official. I am running for Osoyoos Town Council in the upcoming election! I have been asked a few times WHY I am running – short form answer: before the nomination period I was frequently asked why I wasn’t funning and when I mentioned a few of the reasons to why not, I realized those reasons were the very reasons I should be running!
• I am a local business owner of two small businesses in town and understand some issues that are faced by the small businesses in town and the need for more attention and assistance instead of blockage as well as a stronger support of the shop local campaigns.
• I have a young family and know other young families need a voice for town direction, affordable housing and access to education.
• I am a CPA, and therefore able to analyze the financial aspects of projects and fiscal budgets.
• I love wine and know the importance and value of the various wineries including tourism and jobs.
• I enjoy the lake every year and know the importance of protecting our beautiful asset and understand how much tourism brings this town, but I also know that there is climate change and environmental factors that have and will continue to have an impact on tourism and therefore we need to have a strong backing, driven by local business.
• I know we have an older population that need adequate health care. All of these require young people and families to support.
• I want to ensure that the public voices are heard on more than just a social media platform. More than just basic transparency, I want to ensure council and committee members are actively seeking input; not just waiting to see if anyone comes forward but going out and asking.