This Google Earth picture shows most of the 88 acres of land – former townsite of the gold mine community of Fairview – west of Oliver.
The Regional District Okanagan-Similkameen has acquired this land for 30 years and is prepared to sub-lease it to the Fairview Historic Townsite Society.
A lot of history – both in the use of the land and the organization wanting to preserve it.
Candice Gartner, Project Coordinator, RDOS told a meeting of the Society today that the district had received a license of occupation ….and a service agreement for 5 years was forthcoming to the FHTS.
Gartner told Society members that a ‘Work Plan’ was necessary to get grant funding for projects – but that was a separate issue and members should expect the (sub-license) service agreement shortly. Gartner brought to the meeting a “Site Management Plan” approved by the Province of BC. Much work yet to done on this project.
A meeting to discuss the ‘Work Plan’ would be held within 30 days.
An AGM of the Society would be held within 60 days – based on motions passed at a General Meeting of the Fairview Heritage Townsite Society.
Members at the meeting insisted that to refurbish existing trails would be a target for 2018, parking and then and a third – signage to direct visitors to the actual spots where stamp mills or hotels were located in the 1800’s. (1892-1899) – The site vacated by 1920.
The FHTS acknowledges the support of the Okanagan Historical Society, (SO Branch) and the Oliver & District Heritage Society for support and encouragement.